Value of Experience
Thursday, December 12, 2002
Joel's written a good article on the value of experience in programming. Book knowledge and actual know-how are really, really different.
On another note, a thorough article by a published author (Tim O'Reilly) on what piracy means to him:
- Obscurity is a far greater threat to authors and creative artists than piracy.
- Piracy is progressive taxation
- Customers want to do the right thing, if they can.
- Shoplifting is a bigger threat than piracy.
- File sharing networks don't threaten book, music, or film publishing. They threaten existing publishers.
- "Free" is eventually replaced by a higher-quality paid service
- There's more than one way to do it.
I don't participate in file sharing, whether online, with CDs, or email, but I would if I could, for many of the same reasons Tim has outlined.
Comments are closed for this article.