A Jealous God
Why does God make such a big deal out of the sin of idolatry?
- In 1Sa 15:32 it's used as superlative about how bad stubbornness is
- It's right up there with fornication, covetousness, and extortion in 1Co 5:10 and 1Co 6:9
- It's cause to flee in 1Co 10:14
- It's one of the works of the flesh in Gal 5:20
- The kingdom of God is closed to idolaters Eph 5:5
- Col 3:5 makes an important link between covetousness and idolatry
- 1Pe 4:3 calls idolatry abominable
- According to Rev 21:8, all idolaters will have a part in the lake of fire
It is important to know why God is so upset when His people go after fake gods. He loves His children very much, and has every right to jealously claim them as His own.
- That's the reason He gives for the first of the 10 Commandments Ex 20:5
- Jealous is His "middle name" in Ex 34:14
- A fire doesn't miss anything in its raging path, just like the jealousy of God on those who spurn Him De 4:24; 6:15
- Paul makes it clear in 1Co 10:14 that God takes issue with us when we even tread the fine line of even seeming to be idolatrous
All verses in this article